Turning Degrees into Dreams: Promoting Creative Industries Worldwide

Growing up, Ali Almansour ’24 could often be found amid groups of students who were eager to hear him read his latest short story or pore over a journal entry he had written over the weekend.

“I’ve always felt like writing is my superpower,” says Almansour. “I love using writing to tell people about experiences I’ve had or report on what I see as I travel.”

He has carried this talent with him throughout his education, as he earned a degree in English and literature, finished his MBA, attended classes online at Harvard Business School, and ultimately received a PhD in Instructional Management and Leadership from Robert Morris University in Pittsburgh. Along the way, he taught for Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Education and Lewis & Clark College in Portland, OR.

After earning his terminal degree, Almansour returned home to Saudi Arabia, where he worked as a senior consultant for a human capital advisory services company and began contributing regularly to Harvard Business Review Arabia.

“It was a great job, but I felt like I was lacking,” he explains. “I was giving it my best, engaging with clients, but it just wasn’t me. Something was missing.”

He noticed that the creative industries in Saudi Arabia were growing rapidly, as the country unveiled Vision 2030 to restructure investments in business and education and prepares to host World Expo 2030. As part of this exhibition, nations from around the world will bring their innovations to Saudi Arabia to accelerate progress toward sustainable development goals. It’s also slated to host the World Cup in 2034.

“All these events open a new field for us as a nation,” says Almansour. “The ministries there are looking for people who can help engage more in the entertainment sector and align with hosting these major events. I wanted to learn more about the creative industries so I can help promote what’s going on there.”

With the support of his country behind him, Almansour started his search for a graduate program that would prepare him to help Saudi Arabia grow, carry out its future-forward initiatives, and support its creative industries.

A simple Google search introduced him to Northwestern’s MS in Leadership for Creative Enterprises (MSLCE) program. “As one of the most prestigious schools in the nation, you can’t turn down the opportunity to attend, even if you already have a PhD,” he explains. “I knew that engaging with such a program would contribute to skills I could use when I return to Saudi Arabia.”

After being accepted, he put his consulting career on hold and moved to the United States once again, planning to use the MSLCE program not only as an opportunity to connect creative experience with business knowledge but also to broaden his professional network and create new connections.

He arrived at Northwestern with an open mind, ready to learn new things. In a way, he views the program as his chance to start over and leave behind what he was taught in previous professional roles. With a clean slate, he’s learning about what it takes to become an entrepreneur, build strategic capabilities, and improve organizational processes.

The real-world scenarios built into lessons and coursework help him learn practical skills he’ll carry with him, whether they involve building a business, defining and targeting an audience, or creating a strategic plan.

He’s also enjoying all the distinctive classes that make up the MSLCE program. “I’ve been in college for more than 20 years, and I’ve never seen someone like Professor Allison Henry,” Almansour explains. “Her Business Models course is so unique. We’ve had many open conversations about my future, what I should do, and where I should go. And it’s not only her class—I’m learning something in every class.”

He says he enjoys campus life just as much as the academics. With beachfront views and lake access, winding paths, restaurants, and theaters just a few steps from the classroom, he can’t imagine a better place to plan for his future.

When Almansour thinks about what’s to come, he looks forward to playing a role in bringing Saudi Arabia’s Vision 2030 to life. He also envisions being part of the Heritage Commission, a government entity that manages creative arts within the country.

Once he fulfills that mission, he intends to start his own business to help promote Saudi Arabia’s unique culture through tourism or by hosting visitors from other parts of the world. “I think I’ll be more than ready to do these things once I earn this degree. I already feel more confident about engaging in any sort of work or job in the creative industry,” he says. “And that will only continue.”

3 Things Ali Almansour Appreciates About MSLCE Faculty:

The way professors convey their lessons is unique, he explains. They expect interaction and participation. “You can’t come here and expect to be silent for the entire class.”

Here’s what he enjoys most about Northwestern’s faculty:

1. They’re approachable and helpful.
  2. They encourage students to learn and discuss topics as a group so they can learn from each other.
  3. Classes aren’t lectures: Professors don’t stand in front of the room and talk before quickly explaining the next assignment at the end of class. “They know how to grab our attention. Every professor has his or her own tool to engage us.”