Using Storytelling to Create a Sense of Belonging

Growing up in Elmwood Park, IL, Emily Long ’22 watched her parents work and raise a family in an unconventional way. Her father worked during the day while her mother worked overnight as an oncology nurse. Because of their nontraditional schedule, she says she was raised not only by her parents, but also by the community around her. 

“My mom really instilled being an independent working woman,” says Long. “When I asked her if I should go to nursing school just like she, my grandmother, my sister, and my two aunts did, she said, ‘No! You’re going to do media.’ ” 

It wasn’t the answer Long expected, but it made sense. During high school, she loved dancing, writing, comedy, and public speaking.  

Taking her mother’s advice, she attended Illinois State University and earned a degree in mass media with a minor in English. Through student clubs and organizations, she started two TV shows and was involved in the school newspaper. 

After graduation, she returned home and contacted media stations to ask about opportunities. To her surprise, Chicago’s only major commercial television station—WGN—responded with an offer: morning show news writer. 

“I wasn’t a news writer by trade, but when WGN comes knocking, you go,” she says. “I jumped at the opportunity. I woke up at midnight to go to work at 2am every day for eight months. I worked holidays. It was such a great experience. Writing for the ear is very different than academic writing, and everyone has their own style and voice.” 

From there, she transitioned to a full-time associate producer role at station WCIU. She worked in the office for three weeks before everyone was sent home in March 2020. She set up shop in her parents’ basement and helped the station shift to remote broadcasts almost overnight.  

“It was exciting to be at the beginning stage of what ‘new news’ looked like,” she describes. “But, at the same time, I was sad. The reason I loved television was because I got to talk to people and collaborate every day.”  

When she told her best friend she was struggling with the work-from-home transition, her friend shared an idea: Her aunt owned a daycare down the street and was looking for an in-person e-learning teacher. Based on Long’s background, it seemed like an odd fit, but at least it would give her a place to go every day. 

She worked with 13 students ranging from kindergarten to sixth grade —many who were children of essential workers. Students worked with her in person while they attended public school online. In this role, she wore many hats: substitute teacher, caregiver, and activity coordinator, to name just a few. 

As a natural encourager, she wanted the students to feel like they fit in and were part of a community—just like she did when she was growing up. 

To create a sense of belonging in her virtual classroom, she developed her own materials: a YouTube show, two books, and three songs geared toward social and emotional development featuring a main character called Bea Longing (a play off her middle and last names). She affectionately called it the Belonging Method 

“It resonated with them right away,” she explains. “There was a need for something like this. I saw how it impacted my students and wanted to bring it to more of them. Along the way, I also realized that I’m not a news writer. I’m a storyteller.” 

After her students celebrated their in-person graduation in 2021, Long said goodbye and started her own education again, joining the MS in Leadership for Creative Enterprises program (MSLCE). It felt like the next step to explore where her storytelling might lead. 

“Northwestern has been transformative for me,” she says. “I realized I was aiming too low. If you’re surrounded by people with big ideas who are willing to step up and think bigger, then you’re going to think bigger, too. That’s what this program is about.” 

She credits MSLCE for building her confidence in her Belonging Method, creating a new enterprise, and her ability to network and open doors to opportunities. 

“The program asks you to step up in lots of different ways,” she describes. “I had to step up in knowing my voice, crafting my pitch, being confident in myself and my idea, and having a champion mindset.” 

When it came to selecting an applied project, she knew exactly what she wanted to do: take her mission to the next level by creating a YouTube show for Midwest students in grades four through six.  

“When Mr. Rogers saw TV as the newest type of media, he saw kids watching cigarette ads and violent Wild West shows. He wanted to create a show that talked about feelings and coping skills. In this next generation, I want to teach slightly older children those same things, helping them learn how to be responsible and ethical media producers and consumers.” 

Thanks in part to her MSLCE degree, her teaching experience, and Belonging Method, Long recently accepted a full-time position with Elmwood Park School District as a marketing and publishing specialist. She’s excited to apply what she’s learned to continue to make a positive impact on students’ lives.  

“I want to give kids the opportunity to explore creativity and curiosity safely and ethically. It will take everyone’s help to get there. We all have different places to call home, but, in the end, we all call this place our home—and, in that way, we all belong to each other. That’s the message I’m going to convey with my work.”

Read more on our blog and follow Northwestern’s MS in Leadership for Creative Enterprises program on Facebook and Twitter