MSLCE Student Helps Dance Studio Plan for the Future

bodystories2

By Hayley Bullock

I’ve always heard the euphemism “a New York minute” but I fully didn’t appreciate the meaning until I moved to the Big Apple.

Time is really flying by and things are cooking at BodyStories. As I dig deeper into my internship and get my hands into multiple projects, I am realizing that time is moving faster than I thought. Even though this experience is moving quickly, I have already been enriched with so much knowledge and am excited for things to come. As I learned more about the company and its operations, I have taken on more specific tasks and responsibilities.

One of my largest responsibilities is helping the company with long-term positioning and strategic planning. This involves analyzing the company’s brand positioning and points of differentiation. In an attempt to develop a better understanding of the company, I attended a dance workshop in Bayonne, New Jersey with the Artistic Director and a few dancers in the company. The workshop involved BodyStories dancers teaching a group of young, talented, and ambitious dancers which culminated to a group performance on the last day. I used this opportunity to observe (I also got to dance with the students, which was awesome!) and see if I could clue into the nuances that separate BodyStories from other modern and contemporary dance companies. Post-workshop, we debriefed the experience and plan to use that information make some adjustments to the company’s mission statement and influence social media campaigning. Not only was this experience extremely informative, but it was also loads of fun!

Outside of my work with BodyStories, I using this opportunity to better understand the NYC arts scene. Last week, I attended a panel at Long Island University Brooklyn in which the panel members discussed ways to fund a creative project. Panel members included a representative from NYFA grants & fellowships department and also Tony award winning Broadway producer, Patricia Klausner. Even though I learned a great deal about funding, I was happy to use this opportunity to meet a lot of other cool artists and professionals in the field! Needless to say, I’ll be sad when this summer comes to an end!

Stay current with all things MSLCE, click here to join our mailing list!