MSLCE Student Begins Internship at Shedd Aquarium

By Seth Zimmerman

The John G. Shedd Aquarium opened its doors on May 30, 1930. That’s 4,492 weeks…and I have been there three of them.

It is easy to see how this institution has not only survived over the last 86 years, but thrived. The people who work there, in every department, are the best at what they do. They embody the Shedd’s mission statement to connect you to the living world, inspiring you to make a difference. Basically, this is not a job for them. My goal is to help out in any way that I can and maybe learn a thing or two about Public Relations, Shedd Adventures, and nonprofit management.

Shedd’s internships stand out compared to other internships that I have had. I have never worked in a corporate setting, but I imagine that their internships are structured in a similar way. Each week there are meetings where the interns can meet executives and marketing professionals, or learn about branding and building your resume. The Shedd really wants their interns to have a valuable learning experience and succeed when they leave.

I am lucky enough to work with the PR team and on Shedd Adventures. No two days are the same when you are in the PR department. In the short amount of time that I have been there we have had Shark Week, kicked off an election to name a new baby dolphin (#DolphinVote2016), and hosted a behind-the-scenes event for local media and influencers to learn more about Shedd’s rescue and rehabilitation program.

I am also corresponding with members who will be traveling on the upcoming Shedd Adventure to Cancun (where they will be swimming with whale sharks), and getting prepped for next year’s trip to Cuba. Oh, you don’t know about Shedd Adventures? In a nutshell, Shedd Adventures lets you travel with Shedd experts to locations around the world that let you connect with nature and the outdoors. Upcoming trips include an iguana research expedition, swimming with whale sharks in Cancun, diving in Palau, and a people-to-people trip to Cuba. Yeah, they’re going to Cuba!

Stay current with all things MSLCE, click here to join our mailing list!