A Lifelong Dancer, MSLCE Student Excited to Pour Artistic Passion Into Career

By Amy A. Ross

Dance has been a part of Aleksa Narbutaitis’ life since she learned how to walk.

Throughout her childhood, high-school and college years, she explored everything the dance world had to offer: ballet, tap, jazz, modern, hip-hop, lyrical, folk, and even ballroom dance.
“I was always involved in dance performances… Dance and performance has always been very dear to me,” said the 24 year-old native from Cleveland, Ohio. “I really get that desire and need to create. That is something he has indirectly taught me over the years: even if you have nothing, you can create something new,” she said. Narbutaitis majored in entrepreneurship with a minor in dance at Loyola University.  She grew closer to the fitness and health components of dance, which landed her at her first job as a manager at a new barre studio in Chicago. “One week I was walking across a stage, accepting my diploma, and the next I was starting a business from the ground up,” said Narbutaitis. While she loved the experience, in the back of her mind she knew she would wind up coming back to her artistic roots.

“There was  a little voice at the back of my head that was saying: ‘Hey, remember me, your artistic side?’ I loved my clients and studio but wasn’t getting all the fulfillment, so when I stumbled across the program, I knew it was exactly what I was looking for,” she said. Narbutaitis does not yet know what her dream career is, but is most excited about approaching business through the lens of art and creative industries.

“My ultimate goal is to create a career for myself using both the left and right sides of the brain. I want to use my business mind and my artistic mind. I don’t know that I could name a dream career right now, only that I want those two elements in it!”