MSLCE Student Begins Transition from Journalism to TV and Film

By Jacob Nelson

Gloria Coulanges began her writing career studying journalism at Rutgers University before realizing she was drawn more to mediums that allowed for creativity and drama. “I just like telling stories, and doing it for film and television is something I would like more than newspapers,” Coulanges said.

Part of the appeal of television is its reach. Coulanges has always found herself drawn to interesting stories, but lately she’s been wondering if those stories can find a larger audience in television than in the news. “I think journalism was a good segue into this, since you just realize how many stories there are to tell,” she said, adding that her experiences in journalism left her wanting to work in a medium that could get her stories to more people.

“The reach that I would like is more in film and television.”
Though she’s more drawn to script writing, Coulanges certainly has already accomplished quite a bit in journalism. As an undergraduate, she started a college lifestyle magazine (she describes it as “things you wouldn’t normally read in the campus newspaper”) and learned a lot about the business side of running a publication.

“That really put me out there with just having to deal with the business end,” she said. Coulanges is interested in writing a politically-oriented television show that might be based on her experience following around a Democratic National Committee employee who was persuading voters in Essex County during President Obama’s election campaign. “Following her around to see what she needed to do to persuade people to vote, it was just interesting to see that,” Coulanges said. “There were a lot of promises back and forth and then I saw those similarities on ‘House of Cards.’” In addition to politics, Coulanges is also interested in writing about religion. She finds herself drawn to topics “that get me into trouble.”

“If something I write is able to come to life that would be wonderful,” Coulanges said, but she added that she looks forward to working in other roles that contribute to the production of an interesting story. “I’m just going to go with open arms and eyes and ears and hopefully I get everything done that I’m supposed to and things work out,” she said.