MSLCE Student Wants To Use Media To Do Good

By Amy A. Ross

Cameron Kong

Cameron Kong

The media world in which Cameron Kong grew up looks very different from the one she has come to explore in the United States.

“As a Chinese student, when I hear the word ‘media’ I think of Hollywood or Broadway, but also of television and news. But I don’t have a concrete concept of what the media world is or how it works,” said the 23-year-old, who was born and raised in China.

Her excitement about being able to watch American television shows without restraint for the first time in her life or conduct searches on Google for her academic work without having to use a VPN are proof of the very different media environment in which she grew up.

Kong studied International Economy and Trade at Nanjing University in China, and went on to intern at a bank, but came to find the work uninteresting.

“I wanted to go back to the track that I always wanted and dreamed of since high school. It was never that concrete but I wanted to be involved in something more creative and innovative,” said Kong. 

Kong’s interest in the arts began at a very young age, after experimenting with many different forms of art forms during her childhood. The daughter of a tiger mother, she learned to play several musical instruments and developed her skills as a painter. On a more professional level, Kong is interested in investment in the arts and becoming acquainted with some of the interesting projects that have been developed by young entrepreneurs in the creative industries.

The opportunity to explore this world in a program with students and professors with such diverse interests and perspectives as those in the MSLCE program was especially appealing to Kong.

“I believe this program offers unique insight through the prism of arts, sociology and mass communication on today’s business world,” she said.

Having done field work with special needs children in earthquake-stricken and underdeveloped areas in Sichuan, Kong also expressed a deep interest in finding ways to use her knowledge to promote solidarity.

“China is full of these areas that have a great the gap between poor people and others in the country, but I believe the media has this great potential to promoting the idea of helping and others. The media have this power to channel attention and attention is power, I think,” said Kong.