New York Trip Gives MSLCE Student ‘Clear Path and Laser Focus’

By Hannah Aubry

The following post focuses on a trip MSLCE students took together to New York during winter break.

I remember keenly the feeling that came over me when I walked into Mother New York, a global advertising agency that’s company ethos is “do work your mother would be proud of”. It felt like coming home, despite the fact that I had never been there before.

The converted warehouse space, the industrial décor, and the happy buzz of people enjoying their work felt familiar and, well, motherly. Through the rest of their presentation, the feeling only increased. Let me rewind a bit. I have always had a singular vision of where I want my career path to take me. I want to produce art installations and events dealing with socio-political and environmental issues. However, I’ve never been quite sure how I was going to get there.

During the first quarter of our program, I rode the career roller coaster; I researched careers in marketing, broadcasting, curating, and artistic entrepreneurship. During our New York Trek, especially our visit to Mother New York, these various threads fell away and my path now lies clear. I want to learn the experiential marketing trade and ultimately start a marketing firm of my own. Who knows where I will end up for my internship, or afterwards.

However, I will take what I learned from our time in New York with me. Don’t be afraid to start at the bottom. Luck is important, but you have to put yourself in the way of luck in order for it to come. Love what you do and where you do it. I read an article recently titled “Top 5 Regrets of the Dying”. The first thing on the list was “I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me”. I don’t think a single person we spoke in New York will ever have to experience that regret. From Lee Overtree, the artistic director at Story Pirates, to Doug Herzog, the president of the Viacom Entertainment Group, every single one of our contacts is doing what they love- and doing it well. Our trek taught me to pursue that same satisfaction doggedly.

There were many other things I learned from our time in New York: keep your LinkedIn profile updated, send thank you notes, be personable, join trade associations. Of course these tips are important and I will carry them with me. Even more so, my time in New York has given me a clear path and laser focus, not to mention the contacts and the skills necessary to help me get there.